Pierson, Florida is a small town located in Volusia County, with an estimated population of 1,742 as of the 2010 census. Geographically, it is situated on the western shore of Lake George and is surrounded by oak trees and palm trees. The climate in Pierson is humid subtropical, with temperatures ranging from mild to hot during the summer months.
The history of Pierson dates back to 1882 when it was founded by William Pierson. It was originally a farming community, but by the 1950s had become a popular vacation destination due to its proximity to Daytona Beach and other attractions in Central Florida. Today it remains an attractive destination for tourists due to its natural beauty and many outdoor activities such as fishing, boating, and hunting.
Politically, Pierson is part of the Republican-leaning Volusia County government. The economy mainly consists of tourism-related businesses such as hotels and restaurants as well as some manufacturing companies that make products for export.
The schools in Pierson are part of the Volusia County School District and include two elementary schools, two middle schools and one high school. There are also several private schools located nearby which offer religious instruction or alternative educational programs.
As far as landmarks go, there are several historic sites within the area including the old Pierson train station which dates back to 1891; George’s Place Antiques & Collectibles; The Red Barn; The Old White Church; and The Old Fire Station Museum – all of which attract visitors from all over the state year-round. Additionally, there are also several parks located within city limits such as Ivey Park which features a playground area for kids; Lake George Wildlife Management Area; and Cypress Gardens – a botanical garden that showcases exotic plants from around the world.
Population: 2,596. Estimated population in July 2020: 2,604 (+0.3% change)
Males: 1,526 (58.8%), Females: 1,070 (41.2%)
Zip code: 32180
Median resident age: 28.4 years
Median household income: $26,773
Median house value: $72,400
Races in Pierson:
- Hispanic (62.4%)
- White Non-Hispanic (32.2%)
- Other race (11.5%)
- Black (4.9%)
- Two or more races (1.3%)
- American Indian (0.6%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: English (4.7%), German (3.8%), United States (3.8%), Irish (2.9%), French (1.0%).
Elevation: 78 feet
Land area: 8.1 square miles
Pierson, Florida is a small town located in Volusia County. With a population of just over 1,000 people, it is the smallest municipality in the county. The majority of the population is white and most are of European descent. About twenty percent of the population identifies as Hispanic or Latino. The median age for residents is 36 years old, with nearly thirty percent being under 18 years old. The average household size is 2.6 people and nearly fifty percent of households have children under 18 living in them. The median household income for Pierson is slightly below the national average at $41,000 annually.
The town has a few small businesses and one large employer, which provides jobs to many local residents. Some of the larger employers include a grocery store, restaurant, retail stores and service providers such as plumbers and electricians. There are also several small farms located around Pierson which provide fresh produce to local markets as well as other parts of Volusia County. There are plenty of outdoor activities available to residents such as fishing, boating and golfing at nearby courses. Pierson also hosts annual events such as the popular Watermelon Festival and Fourth of July celebration that bring many visitors from nearby towns to experience this quaint little town’s charm and hospitality each year!
For population 25 years and over in Pierson
- High school or higher: 34.2%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 4.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.5%
- Unemployed: 61.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 24.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Pierson town
- Never married: 15.6%
- Now married: 71.8%
- Separated: 2.0%
- Widowed: 5.6%
- Divorced: 5.1%
23.9% Foreign born (23.5% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +1,443 (+125.2%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Pierson:
- FLORIDA HOSPITAL DELAND (about 18 miles; DE LAND, FL)
- MEMORIAL HOSPITAL FLAGLER SW BEDS (about 18 miles; BUNNELL, FL)
- FLORIDA HOSPITAL FISH MEMORIAL (about 23 miles; ORANGE CITY, FL)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Pierson:
- DAYTONA BEACH INTL (about 29 miles; DAYTONA BEACH, FL; Abbreviation: DAB)
- ORLANDO SANFORD (about 37 miles; ORLANDO, FL; Abbreviation: SFB)
- ST AUGUSTINE (about 50 miles; ST AUGUSTINE, FL; Abbreviation: SGJ)
Other public-use airports nearest to Pierson:
- PIERSON MUNI (about 1 miles; PIERSON, FL; Abbreviation: 2J8)
- BOB LEE FLIGHT STRIP (about 15 miles; DELAND, FL; Abbreviation: 1J6)
- DELAND MUNI-SIDNEY H TAYLOR FIELD (about 17 miles; DELAND, FL; Abbreviation: DED)
Amtrak station near Pierson:
- 18 miles: DELAND (2491 OLD NEW YORK AVE.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, taxi stand.
Colleges and Universities
Note: See jibin123 for a list of Florida graduate schools.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Pierson:
- STETSON UNIVERSITY (about 18 miles; DELAND, FL; Full-time enrollment: 2,966)
- EMBRY RIDDLE AERONAUTICAL UNIVERSITY (about 30 miles; DAYTONA BEACH, FL; Full-time enrollment: 9,008)
- DAYTONA BEACH COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 30 miles; DAYTONA BEACH, FL; Full-time enrollment: 6,257)
- BETHUNE COOKMAN COLLEGE (about 30 miles; DAYTONA BEACH, FL; Full-time enrollment: 2,638)
- SAINT JOHNS RIVER COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 33 miles; PALATKA, FL; Full-time enrollment: 2,509)
- SEMINOLE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 35 miles; SANFORD, FL; Full-time enrollment: 5,261)
- UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX-ORLANDO CAMPUS (about 43 miles; MAITLAND, FL; Full-time enrollment: 3,992)
Public primary/middle schools in Pierson:
- T. DEWITT TAYLOR MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 962; Location: 100 E WASHINGTON AVENUE; Grades: 06 – 12)
- PIERSON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 449; Location: 1 W 1ST AVENUE; Grades: PK – 05)