Nokomis, Florida is an unincorporated community in Sarasota County. See health-beauty-guides for top counties in Florida. It has a population of around 5,000 people and is located on the south side of the county. Geographically, Nokomis is situated between two rivers – the Myakka and the Manatee. The climate in Nokomis is humid subtropical with hot summers and mild winters.
Nokomis has a long history with its roots going back to the early 19th century when it was first settled by homesteaders. It was officially established as a town in 1925 when it was granted its post office. Nokomis is governed by Sarasota County and its local government consists of a mayor and five council members who are elected for four-year terms.
The economy of Nokomis relies primarily on tourism, with many people coming to visit the area’s beaches, parks, and historic sites. There are also several small businesses in town such as restaurants, boutiques, and art galleries that cater to tourists.
Nokomis has several schools including an elementary school, middle school, high school, and technical center which are all part of the Sarasota County Schools system. There is also a private Catholic school located in town that serves students from pre-kindergarten through 8th grade.
Some of the most popular landmarks in Nokomis include Spanish Point Park which offers stunning views of Little Sarasota Bay; The Legacy Trail which runs through town; Indian Mound Park which features an ancient Indian mound; North Jetty Beach which provides excellent fishing opportunities; and Oscar Scherer State Park which offers plenty of outdoor activities such as hiking trails, camping sites and kayaking rentals.
Males: 1,672 (50.1%), Females: 1,662 (49.9%)
Zip codes: 34275.
Median resident age: 46.4 years
Median household income: $34,699
Median house value: $107,700
Races in Nokomis:
- White Non-Hispanic (96.3%)
- Hispanic (1.9%)
- Two or more races (0.9%)
- American Indian (0.7%)
- Black (0.6%)
Ancestries: German (25.2%), English (15.2%), Irish (15.2%), United States (9.4%), Italian (6.2%), Polish (4.7%).
Elevation: 10 feet
Land area: 1.7 square miles
Nokomis, Florida is a small city located in Sarasota County. According to the 2010 U.S. Census, the population of Nokomis was 4,500 people. The population has grown since then, and it is estimated that the current population is around 5,000 people. The racial makeup of Nokomis is mostly white (91%), followed by Hispanic (4%), African American (2%), and other races (3%). The median age of Nokomis residents is 51 years old which is higher than the national average of 37 years old.
The majority of Nokomis residents are married couples with children (44%). Those without children make up 25% of the population while single-parent households account for 11%. Of those living in Nokomis, 28% have never been married. The median household income in Nokomis was $54,867 in 2019 which was slightly higher than the national average of $57,652 for that year.
In terms of education attainment, most adults in Nokomis have either a high school diploma or some college education (77%). Around 17% have a bachelor’s degree or higher and only 6% have no high school diploma or equivalent. This suggests that education levels are relatively high among residents living in this area compared to much of the rest of Florida and the United States as a whole.
The cost of living in Nokomis is also quite affordable compared to other areas within Florida and across the country as a whole; this makes it an attractive place to live for many families looking for a suburban lifestyle without breaking their budget. Additionally, there are plenty of activities available to keep everyone entertained such as fishing, swimming at local beaches, golfing at nearby courses, shopping at nearby malls and outlets stores, and exploring all that Sarasota County has to offer!
For population 25 years and over in Nokomis
- High school or higher: 80.4%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 13.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.1%
- Unemployed: 2.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 23.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Nokomis CDP
- Never married: 17.8%
- Now married: 54.4%
- Separated: 1.4%
- Widowed: 10.6%
- Divorced: 15.7%
2.8% Foreign born (1.7% Europe, 0.6% North America, 0.3% Oceania).
Hospitals/medical centers near Nokomis:
- BON SECOURS VENICE HOSPITAL (about 3 miles; VENICE, FL)
- ENGLEWOOD COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 3 miles; ENGLEWOOD, FL)
- HEALTHSOUTH REHAB HOSPITAL OF SARASOTA (about 12 miles; SARASOTA, FL)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Nokomis:
- SARASOTA/BRADENTON INTL (about 20 miles; SARASOTA/BRADENTON, FL; Abbreviation: SRQ)
- CHARLOTTE COUNTY (about 35 miles; PUNTA GORDA, FL; Abbreviation: PGD)
- MAC DILL AFB (about 50 miles; TAMPA, FL; Abbreviation: MCF)
Other public-use airports nearest to Nokomis:
- VENICE MUNI (about 4 miles; VENICE, FL; Abbreviation: VNC)
- BUCHAN (about 11 miles; ENGLEWOOD, FL; Abbreviation: X36)
- AIRPORT MANATEE (about 36 miles; PALMETTO, FL; Abbreviation: 48X)
Amtrak station near Nokomis:
- 11 miles: SARASOTA (I-75 AT CLARK RD.) – Bus Station. Services: public payphones, snack bar, free short-term parking, paid long-term parking.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Nokomis:
- MANATEE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 24 miles; BRADENTON, FL; Full-time enrollment: 4,539)
- FLORIDA GULF COAST UNIVERSITY (about 52 miles; FT MYERS, FL; Full-time enrollment: 2,466)
- EDISON COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 54 miles; FT MYERS, FL; Full-time enrollment: 5,032)
- HILLSBOROUGH COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 56 miles; TAMPA, FL; Full-time enrollment: 9,630)
- UNIVERSITY OF TAMPA (about 56 miles; TAMPA, FL; Full-time enrollment: 2,963)
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH FLORIDA (about 65 miles; TAMPA, FL; Full-time enrollment: 26,221)
- TRAVIS TECHNICAL CENTER (about 70 miles; LAKELAND, FL; Full-time enrollment: 2,057)
Public primary/middle school in Nokomis:
- LAUREL NOKOMIS SCHOOL (Students: 1,791; Location: 1900 E LAUREL ROAD; Grades: KG – 08)