Pilates is a great type of exercise to increase flexibility and tone the muscles, as well as combat pain, improve posture, increase strength, and when combined with diet and other high-energy physical activity such as running or Muay Thay, for example, helps you lose weight.
Pilates is based on 6 principles:
- Center of force, also called core, which are the abdominal muscles, which should be considered the focus of all exercises, as it promotes the stabilization of the trunk;
- Concentration, since it is necessary to have total concentration in the realization of the movements to have the benefits;
- Control of movement, aiming to improve motor coordination;
- Fluidity of movement, so that there are no big impacts;
- Accuracy, which relates to the quality of movement;
- Breathing, which must be synchronized with each movement performed.
All of these principles are fundamental for pilates to be practiced in the best way and thus can have several benefits. Pilates tones the muscles and makes it easier to stay in the correct posture daily, in addition to disguising the belly and lengthening the body, leaving the silhouette more elegant, since one of the main groups worked in this exercise is the core, ie the abdominal muscles .
Pilates classes last approximately 1 hour and have a caloric expenditure between 200 and 400 calories depending on the exercises performed. The best professionals to give Pilates classes are the physical educator and the physiotherapist with due knowledge of the method.
Benefits of pilates
Pilates has numerous benefits and can be practiced by the elderly, adults, children, adolescents and pregnant women. Some of the main benefits of pilates are:
- Increased concentration;
- Stress relief;
- Muscle strengthening, preventing injuries;
- Assists in recovery from injury;
- Promotes muscle toning;
- Improvement of balance and posture;
- Improved breathing;
- Reduces back pain and prevents urinary incontinence in the case of pregnant women;
- Increases flexibility;
- Improves mobility and motor coordination;
- Helps in weight loss;
- In the case of athletes, the pilates can favor the increase in the yield in other physical activities;
- It allows children and adolescents to know the limits of their body.
Pilates requires that the mind and body be in tune, requiring a lot of concentration and breathing control so that the movements are performed correctly and can have several benefits. The pilates method allows to work the whole body, the muscles being more activated those of the abdomen, glutes and back.
Pilates slimming down in how long?
A scientific paper published in 2011 states that the practice of endurance exercises, such as Pilates, for an approximate time of 8 weeks is able to decrease by 13% liver fat.
Even though these numbers do not reflect directly on the scale, regular physical exercise like Pilates helps you lose weight because it speeds up your metabolism and promotes the formation of muscles, which increase your caloric expenditure even when you stop. The results can be seen at the end of the first month of classes and others will be able to observe their new curves in approximately 6 months.