According to CAMPINGSHIP, Grenada, California is located in the northern part of the state and is nestled in the Sierra Nevada mountain range. The city has a semi-arid climate with hot summers and cold winters. The average high temperature in summer is around 88 degrees Fahrenheit while the average low temperature in winter is around 32 degrees Fahrenheit.
The city was founded in 1872 by settlers from Spain and Mexico who were drawn to the area by its abundant natural resources. The town’s original name was “Granada” after its original settlers, but it was later changed to Grenada in order to avoid confusion with a similar sounding city in Spain.
Politically, Grenada has been traditionally a Democratic stronghold and has consistently voted for Democratic candidates throughout its history. In recent years, however, the city has become increasingly diverse politically with many Republican voters as well.
Economically, Grenada relies heavily on tourism as well as agriculture for its livelihood. The city is home to several wineries, fruit orchards and other agricultural businesses that attract visitors from all over California and beyond. Additionally, many people come to visit the nearby ski resorts which offer excellent skiing opportunities during winter months.
Grenada is served by two school districts: Sierra Unified School District and Mariposa County Unified School District. These districts provide excellent educational opportunities for students of all ages including elementary schools, middle schools and high schools as well as vocational centers for those seeking specialized training or job skills development programs.
In terms of landmarks, one of the most popular attractions in Grenada would be Yosemite National Park which is located just outside of town limits and offers spectacular views of nature’s wonders such as Half Dome Mountain, El Capitan Rock Formation and Yosemite Falls among others. Additionally, there are several historical sites within city limits such as La Casa de Estudillo which was built in 1845 by Don Jose Estudillo y Alvarado one of the town’s original settlers from Spain; it now serves as a museum showcasing artifacts from early settler life during that time period.
Males: 175 (49.9%), Females: 176 (50.1%)
Zip code: 96038
Median resident age: 39.5 years
Median household income: $27,813
Median house value: $85,300
Races in Grenada:
- White Non-Hispanic (84.0%)
- American Indian (10.0%)
- Hispanic (4.0%)
- Two or more races (3.4%)
- Other race (1.4%)
- Other Asian (0.9%)
Ancestries: German (12.5%), United States (12.5%), Irish (12.0%), Swedish (6.6%), English (3.4%), Portuguese (3.4%).
Elevation: 2590 feet
Land area: 0.5 square miles
Grenada, California is a small rural town located in the southern part of the state. According to the 2010 census, the population of Grenada was 859 people. The majority of the citizens are of Hispanic or Latino descent, making up nearly 80% of the population. The remaining 20% of the population is made up of White, African-American, Native American and Asian residents. The median age in Grenada is 34 years old, with about 32% under 18 years old and 6% over 65 years old.
The major industries in Grenada are agriculture and tourism. Agriculture is an important part of its economy with various crops such as cotton, wheat, corn and soybeans being produced here. Tourism also plays a large role in the economy with numerous attractions such as camping sites, fishing spots, hiking trails and nature preserves drawing visitors from all across California and beyond. The town also hosts several festivals throughout the year which attract many tourists to Grenada. There are also several restaurants and cafes that offer local dishes as well as international cuisine for visitors to enjoy.
For population 25 years and over in Grenada
- High school or higher: 79.7%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 6.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.5%
- Unemployed: 7.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 18.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Grenada CDP
- Never married: 18.9%
- Now married: 50.9%
- Separated: 1.5%
- Widowed: 8.0%
- Divorced: 20.7%
0.9% Foreign born
Hospitals/medical centers near Grenada:
- FAIRCHILD MEDICAL CENTER (about 12 miles; YREKA, CA)
- MERCY MEDICAL CENTER MT SHASTA (about 27 miles; MOUNT SHASTA, CA)
- ASHLAND COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 37 miles; ASHLAND, OR)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Grenada:
- ROGUE VALLEY INTERNATIONAL – MEDFORD (about 56 miles; MEDFORD, OR; Abbreviation: MFR)
- KLAMATH FALLS (about 66 miles; KLAMATH FALLS, OR; Abbreviation: LMT)
- REDDING MUNI (about 81 miles; REDDING, CA; Abbreviation: RDD)
Other public-use airports nearest to Grenada:
- MONTAGUE-YREKA ROHRER FIELD (about 6 miles; MONTAGUE, CA; Abbreviation: 1O5)
- SISKIYOU COUNTY (about 10 miles; MONTAGUE, CA; Abbreviation: SIY)
- WEED (about 14 miles; WEED, CA; Abbreviation: O46)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Grenada:
- SOUTHERN OREGON UNIVERSITY (about 37 miles; ASHLAND, OR; Full-time enrollment: 4,424)
- OREGON INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (about 63 miles; KLAMATH FALLS, OR; Full-time enrollment: 2,183)
- SHASTA COLLEGE (about 66 miles; REDDING, CA; Full-time enrollment: 5,251)
- ROGUE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 79 miles; GRANTS PASS, OR; Full-time enrollment: 2,289)
- HUMBOLDT STATE UNIVERSITY (about 120 miles; ARCATA, CA; Full-time enrollment: 6,800)
- COLLEGE OF THE REDWOODS (about 128 miles; EUREKA, CA; Full-time enrollment: 4,071)
- CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY-CHICO (about 141 miles; CHICO, CA; Full-time enrollment: 14,658)
Public primary/middle schools in Grenada:
- GRENADA ELEMENTARY (Students: 134; Location: 516 SHASTA AVE.; Grades: KG – 08)
- GRENADA COMMUNITY DAY (Students: 3; Location: 516 SHASTA BLVD.; Grades: KG – 08)