To prepare to do a marathon you should run outdoors at least 4 times a week for 70 minutes to 2 hours. However, it is also important to do stretching and weight training to strengthen the muscles, and it is important with a teacher.
Physical preparation for a marathon takes at least 5 months and, in the case of beginners, it takes on average 1 year and a half, and one should start by running 5 Km, 10 Km and 22 km of progressive way.
In addition, eating foods rich in carbohydrates and protein, drink lots of water, sleep at least 8 hours per night, and gain confidence and motivation is essential to endure the race until the end.
Tips for running the marathon
Some important tips for running a marathon include:
- Go to the doctorto do the blood test and test ergoespirométrico, which evaluates the level of physical fitness, the functioning of the heart and lungs;
- Use shoes specific for running;
- Use meter heart rate, known as frequency counter, chest or wrist;
- Opt for workouts in the open air, avoiding the treadmill;
- Be part of a running group to increase motivation;
- Decrease the pace of training in the last 2 weeks of proof, to protect the body.
In addition to these tips, it is essential to make a physical and mental preparation to bear the proof it is necessary to:
1. Do physical preparation
To run the marathon, it is recommended that you run regularly for at least 1 year, at least 3 times per week, doing workouts at least 5 km. However, if the individual is a beginner should first prepare himself physically, and only after dedicating themselves to specific training for the marathon.
Generally, the training plan for running the marathon should be planned by a trainer and should be done each week, including:
- Run at least 3 times during the week, running between 6 and 13 km;
- Do 1 workout for the long route,that can reach up to 32 km;
- Increase the distance weekly, but not exceeding the increase of 8 Miles per week;
- Repeat the number of miles traveled every 15 days.
During the physical preparation to run a marathon, in addition to running, you should do stretching and muscle strengthening, particularly, abdominal.
2. Do the mental preparation
To run a marathon is to have a mental preparation, because the test may take between 2h and 5h, emerging tiredness and fatigue. In this way, it is important to:
- To know the route of the race in advance, taking attention to references and clues;
- Watch the previous races or movies with the evidence;
- Talk with athlete’s who have run a marathon.
The incetivo family and friends is also usually very important to succeed in training and on race day.
3. Rest and recover
In addition to the race training, the athlete must rest during the day, sleeping at least 8 hours per night. Here are some tips to sleep well: 10 tips to sleep well.
To recover the fatigue and the body to rest is also important to choose 1 or 2 days of the week, not to run and just do some sit-ups or stretching, to regain the energy.
4. Maintain a healthy diet
During the months of preparation for a marathon it is crucial to make an healthy and balanced diet, eating 3 in 3 hours the foods rich in carbohydrates and protein and drinking at least 2.5 L of water per day. It is also important to pay special attention to the food before and after workouts.
In addition, on the day of the race, and to endure the race until the end, you should eat 2 hours, 1 hour and 30 minutes before the run to keep the sugar levels stable, not having cramps and keeping the beats of the heart regular.